Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Just a Note about a Fire Truck...and Toilets

Random, I know, but it's the only way I'll remember to post these kinds of things! This post, by the way, is in honor of Tim, my favorite firefighter ever...even if he won't give me a sticker for my car.I just rode home from choir in a firetruck! Our flat is right next to the Dunedin City Fire Station and I'd wanted to see about sending some baking over to them in appreciation of all their hard work. Plus, it's always good to be "in" with those that may save your life someday...jk But I was walking home and saw the truck parked outside of one of Dunedin's 500,000 fish and chips places. I started to pass them, but then I realized it would be the perfect opportunity to ask about bringing goodies by. They offered to give me a ride home and since their buddy was coming out with his "takeaways" (the food) I agreed to the transport. It was fun. Now I have to bake something.
On another random subject, and this is mainly for my brother Daniel, the toilets are different here. To flush, you push a button, usually located on the top of the tank. There are two options: for a minor flush, depress the left side, this button is typically marked to indicate that it uses half the water it is capable of flushing. For a major flush, :o) you depress the other button. The older, "less effecient" toilets do not have the minor/major flushing option and only have one button. Some toilets flush quite violently and shower the seat with water. One learns to avoid these particular beasts.
Oh, and Mom, I've been DYING to tell you that for the month and a half that I've been here I have not seen a single toilet that offers paper seat protectors. I told you they're just a waste of time! Of course, we have yet to see whether there will be a greater mortality rate in New Zealand due to this mysterious "derriere disease" contracted through toilet seat contact. Sigh. The world may never know.
One more note of clarification: in NZ, never ask for the bathroom/restroom/ladies room, simply ask for the toilets. It was a little uncomfortable for me at first - seeing as how in the States we try to mask the fact that we need a toilet by using some of the cute words I've previously mentioned. But all restrooms are marked with "Toilets" and that's what you ask for if you need one. I like the open honesty here :o)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home