Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Addictive habits

Guess what?! I've decided to train for a marathon - 26 grueling miles. Sounds fabulous! Since living at Micaela's house, I've been running often and am beginning to feel the love. I've decided I like running most at night, in the dark and the cold.
Two weeks ago I went running with Mel, a new RN at the ED, on some trails nearby. It was somewhat overcast and began sprinkling heftily once we started out on our run. And it was just damp enough that the dirt turned to a heavy mud and stuck to the bottom of our running shoes. By the end of the run we were soaking wet with a combination of rain and sweat; our shoes were heavy with mud and our faces were red and prickly from the cold. We laughed and washed off our shoes in puddles. It was a good day.

Last week tomorrow, Sarah and I ran downtown after dark. It was chilly, but not windy, and it took longer than usual for our muscles to warm up. We ran by the hospital for a time card signature and were requested to make a coffee run. With Platinum credit card handed over, we ran to Java and ordered the 2 requested Bowls of Soul. The return journey was hilarious - coffee overflowing lids, passing creepy others in early Halloween costumes, and laughs of running off with free coffee and a physician's credit card. That, too, was a good day. Better actually, because it was spent with sister.

Last night, after my 2 hour nap in preparation for my night shift, I went for another run, in 2 parts. I'm beginning to fully enjoy falling into my "sustainable pace," feeling my knees rise and my calves push off in rhythm with my breathing. Sometimes I like to step once in each block of the sidewalk, allowing only one foot to land in each square, switching up the fancy foot work to coordinate with the different lengths of cement. That gets the rib cage expanding and pulse pounding. I first had a little warm-up run with a stop off back at my house to leave a layer behind and stretch. Then I went off in search of a co-worker's house quite a few blocks away, pushing myself in speed. It felt good.

I'm enjoying the fact that I have a goal in mind and that I'm pressing on toward that goal. I figure, if I can train for and complete a marathon, I can become a PA. For sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home