Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, March 16, 2006

at Heidi's house.

I'm definitely taking advantage of the wireless connection at Heidi's house and making a quick little posting while Heidi puts away the towels she just folded. Heidi's great.
We spent the morning at the rec center, running for about 40 minutes, and talking about the superiority of firstborn children. Well, perhaps "superiority" was not the best term. We laughed about our controlling and competitive nature as it pertained to younger siblings. Heidi told me about a recent arm wrestling competition with her siblings and how she and her sister had sat in deadlock for nearly five minutes - neither one wanting to give in. I distinctly remember telling my brother, when I realised he was growing taller than me, "You have to be nice to me now that you're bigger and stronger than I am." He only laughed a sort of evil laugh.
Heidi used to open her siblings presents at Christmas and birthdays. She was forced to keep a sizeable distance away from gifts until she could control herself. I think it was two years ago :o)
I was the self appointed birthday cake supervisor, placing the candles, lighting them AND blowing them out for the birthday child.
Heidi, her brother, and I were discussing the dynamics of this paradigm when Heidi shared this tidbit, "I've heard that oldest children are the most intelligent and it just decreases down throughout the children." Brother chortled.
What's with oldest children, anyway?

7 Comments:

  • That's right, just give all my deep, dark secrets away. Private conversations, the whole watermelon.


    Okay, I was the one who said "there are no secrets."

    Ha!


    (And it's perfectly true about the presents. But I got over that, like, four years ago. I think.)

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 16 March, 2006 11:54  

  • I'm the youngest child. Oldest children are the devil.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 16 March, 2006 15:41  

  • I think your right about the oldest children being the most superior, smarter, and all round just better. I think it just goes without saying :-0

    Mark

    By Blogger Mark, at 16 March, 2006 19:25  

  • hooray! Oldest children rule! Sorry to all you puny underlings. We love you anyway ;oP

    By Blogger liz, at 23 March, 2006 19:19  

  • oldest children are the greatest, but we also carry the greatest burdens, much is expected of those who have been given much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04 April, 2006 15:35  

  • True. I was just talking to another, well, actually he's the youngest of his family, but I was sharing the CONSTANTLY HEARD comment my mother always told me: "With great privilege comes great responsibility."
    Oh how I hated hearing that. But it's truth.

    By Blogger liz, at 05 April, 2006 13:26  

  • But, if oldest children are so great, why do parents feel the need to search for perfection and keep having children? My parents had 2 kids and yet were discontent, knowing that something better had to exist. Only after my birth were they able to stop, realizing they had found their nirvana.
    And older children are insupportably bossy. You often see them carrying this on into adulthood, telling innocent people how to run their lives!
    Sorry, girls, but youngest children are the best, most perfect, and where the quest for perfection in offspring ends!:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15 April, 2006 09:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home