Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Once in a university career

Maybe if I'd worn my glasses I would've gotten the dates right...

Such is the stuff nightmares are made of.
Remember that dream where you walk into class and are instantly horrified to discover that there's a test that day...and you knew NOTHING of it?

Yeah, you guessed it. For the first time in my 5 year university career it happened.

I thought I was on top of all assignments this semester, and for the most part, I was. However, way-back-when (during the first days of this semester), as I sat down to write up my weekly-monthly-semesterly planner/diary I somehow managed to flub the date of one test. I'm not quite sure how I managed to change the date from 27 April to 2 May ('tis alluding...) but I did.

Imagine my shock: I was sitting outside in the glorious sunshine studying with a classmate.
Says me, "Boy, I hope I get a handle on this material before Tuesday."
My statement is met with the swift upward jerk of my friend's head, her face registering confusion. "The test isn't Tuesday. It's today." She says this gently, tinged with disbelief.
"NO." Says I, emphatically and slowly, "it’s Tuesday."
Smiling slightly, as if to ease the blow, "no, it's today."
Me: "I know it’s Tuesday. You're joking. You're kidding me..." My voice trails off as it all registers.
I can see the 2nd of May on my two calendars, neatly printed with "Patho test 7" and highlighted in orange. How could I have been so wrong?

I tried to study but was so full of adrenaline that I couldn't read the words on the page. I've had so many assignments due that I'd entirely put off this class until this weekend. I thought it worthwhile to plead for grace from my lecturer. The worst she could do, I reckoned, was to tell me I must take the test today. So I carefully explained it all to her, about how I had mistaken the date. Her eyes widened as her mouth formed a neat, surprised "o." She's letting me take it on Monday. I can't believe it.

In other news, I purchased my first set of scrubs today. Navy blue in colour, I selected the top with TWO belly-area pockets (not the typical solo breast pocket - useful only for a pen or two and the attatchment of credentials) and the pants with cargo pockets. Just in case I wanted to carry my life belongings with me. And I discovered that they actually make flare, yes, flare scrub pants. Ahh, the power of the consumer.

Grand finale: I've just caught wind of the fact that two of my dear, newlywed friends are expecting! They're hoping to head to NZ in January, baby in tow, for a little WWOOF participation. How I'd love to join 'em.
...off to study. Two more weeks!

2 Comments:

  • And I'd love for you to join them too Miss Nelson! Just been reading your blog and now I think im updated a bit on your Idaho life! Hope your having a good year (sounds like it) & gimmie an email sometime k liz?! Happy honnaka...love jessie xo
    PS> that sure was lucky bout your test!...speaking of which, I have one on tuesday...ah well. Ciao

    By Blogger jessIe, at 28 April, 2006 04:20  

  • Ah, yes, testing nightmares.

    All the time.

    When I can actually fall asleep, that is.

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 29 April, 2006 12:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home