Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Spanish

I've been having lunch on thursdays with my spanish tutorial instructor, Lilian. She's a lovely woman originally from Guatemala who has lived for the last 10yrs or so in Canada with her husband and their two girls. She and her family are fluent in Spanish and French, all are either learning or improving their english. It's incredible. So Lilian and I, over lunch, learn english and spanish, respectively. She had showed me pictures of her daughters and I had met her husband who also works at the university. Today her daughters, Sofia - 7yrs and Valentina - 3yrs old, came to uni. I had so much fun visiting with them and trying to speak spanish to them. Sofia is quiet and shy, but she understands most english, so we were able to carry on a conversation. Valentina is a bundle of energy and rambles on in her own spanglish, "Hola! Hi!" Super cute. Lilian said she'll keep me in mind if they need a babysitter. It was nice to be around little guys again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home