Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Sunday, May 8, 2005

PART TWO - 30 Bells Ball

By the grace of God it all worked out! Those I had taught the dances to come forward to demonstrate. With the minor fact :o) that I had forgotten the "fishhook" move in Postie's Jig the first time I taught the dances, everyone learned rather quickly. It was so fun. I couldn't believe how fast everyone seemed to catch on. In almost no time at all everyone was successfully dancing Postie's and Virginia Reel. But the music set the mood. Seven uni students (spell: excitement) with a broad range of instruments jammed their hearts out onstage. Their smiles and enthusiasm were so inviting and infectious that watching them was like coming into contact with something surreal. We broke again for the cutting of cake and more food. Luke gave a fantastic speech before an elder from the church prayed for him. (on a funny note: Luke is an Aussie which makes for hilarious jokes and the prayer began with, "Lord, thank you for Australians.” Kiwis and Aussies are notorious rivals.) Before the dancing had commenced for the evening, Luke had stated that he wanted the mood to become increasingly informal. So after the cake, everything was freestyle. People meandered about between the food and dance, while some people shredded the dance floor. A popular style of dance here is called Ceroc, and it’s a blend of Latin, swing and ballroom. “It’s pretty much my favorite.” (guess at the movie I’ve implied, anyone? Sorry it’s so obvious…) My friends Patrick and Lisa are amazing ceroc dancers and stole all attention for some time. Finally I let myself feel the exhaustion and after recording a message for Luke’s “birthday card-video,” Stephen gave me a ride home. What a memorable night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home