Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Long Beach

Last Sunday afternoon I had one of the most memorable experiences thus far in New Zealand. I went on a HalF-SOUL adventure.
My group was led by Caleb, a man who enjoys any outdoor adventure so long as it is made more dangerous and/or difficult than it is (can't count how many times he replied to the question, "why don't we go that way? It's shorter" with, "because then it wouldn't be as fun!").
Despite the snow forecast, the DCBC realise (university students) group headed out to Long Beach with the Highw@y (high school students) crowd after the morning church service. We transported food and a BBQ to the end of the beach where the large cave is. The group that stayed behind to guard everything began cooking and building the fire. "Your job is to have a feast available for us when we return," Caleb smiled. No one complains when Caleb asks them to do something.
And then we were off! ...straight into the ocean. "Watch the waves, then go for it!" We were to head to the rocks and traverse around the point. I immediately soaked myself to the waist, but apparently sometimes you can make it around the point only getting your feet wet, but that's any time other than spring.
At one point I asked Jon, the only other male in our crowd of 8 or so girls, "Why is the water so warm right now?" He laughed and informed me of my obvious adrenaline high, "The water is freezing, you just don't feel it."
It wasn't long before I could feel it. Coming around the point, Caleb showed us our next task.
"See that tunnel over there? Well, we're going to swim under it!" Most of us plunged in before he could continue with the coaxing. Yes, the water is indeed freezing at this time of year. I didn't so much realise the temperature until I climbed up on the rocks and then hopped in again to swim. There the water was quite deep and I managed to effectively dunk myself. Hallelujah for glasses that adhere to the face (Couldn't leave them behind, Mom, you know how blind I am). Immediately following this pleasant wading experience, we were to make our way up the hillside. Not a completely vertical hillside, but pretty close. But no worry! The sun showers were present to aid in the reduction in traction! My quads just about quit. Because the water was so cold, my muscles nearly locked up - they really despised the abuse of climbing uphill after that. (On a side note: two days of a hottie and stretching finally released everything)
The view from the top was glorious. "Welcome to HalF-SOUL! We figure God made so many of these beautiful places and we ought to get out there and enjoy them!" Caleb briefly explained to us that the trek we'd just made is part of an adventure race track. Sounds pretty enticing, I might recruit a team of adventurers some afternoon...
As a light rain fell, the sun shone brightly, offering heat to our shivering selves. Making our way along, we climbed back down to the water. Lots of seals, seal poo, bird poo, slippery paths, scratches, flesh wounds and a dislocated shoulder (poor Rosalie was wisked off to the hospital for resetting and I heard she's doing quite well) later, we made it back to the cave.
I could hardly move my fingers but there was a massive bonfire, heaps of sausages and coleslaw, and a guitar. I'd thought to bring dry shirts and was wearing my quickdry pants, so I wasn't entirely chilled. We sang, ate and tried to warm up before heading home with a quick stop for ice creams. Yes, I know half of us were freezing, but it was SO much fun to cram our group of about 20 into the itty-bitty dairy.
In termination, the ride home was extremely memorable. Six karaoke superstar girls, a cranked-up radio, and two guys in the front seat of the van...I think it's enough to say we turned back to pedal it over the speed bumps!

1 Comments:

  • I can see I'll have to place a trip to NZ on my list of vacation places when I'm employed and rich.

    What fun! Sounds like an absolutely fabulous trip, Liz.

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 22 September, 2005 09:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home