Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, October 27, 2005

what a difference a day makes

On Wednesday I went to St. Kilda beach to "surf." Michelle picked me up in her sporty little two-door car and we went whizzing off to pick up Justin's boogie board and Sophie's surfboard and wetties. After driving almost completely around Dunedin, we found Sophie's house and set about loading up the gear. I wish I'd taken a picture. We couldn't fit the board into the car through the boot, the angles were all wrong. Michelle happened to have some extension power cords so I suggested we lash the board to the roof. I would hold, for dear life, onto the ends of the cords inside the car. Laughing through our terrified visions of the board flying off the roof in transit and breaking a fin/the entire board, we decided that it simply had to fit inside. With some clever maneuvering the door provided just enough room to squeeze the board in - lazing at an angle from trunk to windshield.
Picking up Christine (who had available transport), I insisted that we could fit four people into the already-reduced space in Michelle's car. On our way to pick up Luke, I tested out my proposed traveling position: lying underneath the surfboard on my stomach, my hips and legs in the boot, and my torso inside the car. My breathing was a bit inhibited, so while picking up our fourth passenger, I flipped over to lying on my back which was much more comfortable. Christine sat in a huddled ball behind and against the front passenger seat, also underneath the surfboard and just at my head. Luke sat behind Michelle, who drove. This was about the most fun part of the adventure because the waves were terrible, the wind was ferocious and I'm pretty sure I saw some ice cubes float past me in the water. Once the rips started up, us three girls quit the water and joined Luke and Michelle's friend on the beach. A bunch of Student Life guys played touch at the shore while Michelle and I went for a short beach run. We took a break and I gave some cartwheel, round-off, and handstand lessons to Michelle, but the audience was a little unnerving so we headed back.
All snug and cozy for the trip back to Dunners, Luke calmly told me that if he were to tickle my feet, I wouldn't be able to move. I had already been employing my anti-claustrophobia/scuba diving techniques to stay calm, but his statement made me realise how truly pinned I was. My hips were locked into place by the seat Luke sat on. When we dropped him off he didn't get out right away. I mentioned that I couldn't wait to get out, asking if he could unlatch his seat to lay it forward so I could escape. He stared at me with a look, similar to the one
Heather gave me before flooring the gas petal that day at the puddle. When he bolted from the car I mustered all of my ancient flexibility to reach for the seat latch to release myself. Just in time I wriggled out of my bonds, and though Luke had reached my foot, he couldn't keep a grasp on my ankle. Gained a painful carpet burn and bruise on my elbow from that one.
At this point I should probably explain that Luke is the leader, yes, leader, of
realise, the university student-aged group at DCBC, the church have attended this year and now dually attend with Apo. It was at his birthday (30 Bells Ball) that I taught the dances. Shame on him! Do boys ever learn?
Michelle and I dropped off the gear and a quick visit with Justin. We first tried to pretend we were there to pick up the boogie board, but Justin had seen us driving in town; we gave up in a fit of tired, sunburnt giggles. I was dropped off at home, had a thoroughly enjoyable phone conversation with Michael and slept soundly until my alarm went off at 3:56am. Idaho, (Mountain Standard Time) is currently 4 hours (actually 20 hours behind) "ahead" of New Zealand and my registration began at 8am, on the 26th of October. I spent an hour registering for spring semester classes at Boise State University, before re-entering dreamland. Ugh, is it just me, or is anyone else having restless sleeps?

4 Comments:

  • what makes a conversation enjoyable?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 27 October, 2005 19:49  

  • Generally eating while talking (good icebreaker, except for my Uncle Joe who acted as a food sprinkler), making those fake static noises (even in-person), try your best to be in a really noisy room so you have to yell at the other person...or just sit on a bench next to a couple of women smoking. Better yet, hope for some mating seagulls in the background - that ALWAYS makes for an enjoyable conversation.

    Seriously, though? I think it's a hit and miss thing sometimes. But the more you know the person, the better the conversations. You don't have to repeatedly enter into and explain all the old topics because you both know them. Gives a little depth to things.
    Unfortunately, people like me tell the same story to the same person 5 times. Some people just phase out and let me continue, some give me a blank face until I figure out I've already told the story, some just cut me off and let me know. It all depends on the listener!
    And I managed to not say what makes a conversation enjoyable.
    Good communication with more-than-pleasant company.

    By Blogger liz, at 27 October, 2005 20:16  

  • Oh, thstop!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 27 October, 2005 20:49  

  • Was it just me, or was this page not loading yesterday? I tried to read it a couple of times, and it always stopped in the middle.

    Yes, to the restless sleep question! I'm trying to decide if it's my matress (which is just a few years younger than I am), too much sleep, too little sleep, or that fact that I've grown my hair back out and now it's always in the way unless I get my sister to french-braid it (and she's on a retreat right now).

    Oh, well. I haven't fallen asleep in class this year yet.

    Sounds like a great trip to the beach! You're getting so much beach time. I'm over here day-dreaming about strolling along a beach through the waves, running from the big ones that try to get me when the tide is coming in ...

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 29 October, 2005 09:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home