Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Sunday, June 11, 2006

brownies, blurry vision and whining.

it's 3:56am and I'm at work. Yes, I'm enjoying the fast-paced environment of the Emergency Department at 3:56am. This morning, when I awoke at 9:20am after sleeping for nearly 11 hours after working my rear off this week and living in desperate need of sleep, I said to myself, "I'm not going to sleep until, at earliest, 7am SUNDAY morning." That's a looooong time not to sleep. But not as long as other people go without sleep. Such as residents. Or Brian, the scribe I'm shadowing. He's here with me now and he'll start another 8hour shift at 6am tomorrow morning, right about when I am heading off to my sweet, sweet bed. Poor sleepless people.

By the way, I'm not sure when the NY info will be up. Kristi and I are ridiculously busy. We've actually started a club in celebration of busy people. The Busy People Club. There are two members already.

But I LOVE MY JOB! It's excellent. I've seen so much [trauma, drama and whining] and am getting to know many doctors, nurses, CNAs, medics, administrative people, security guards and fellow scribes. And I feel like a nerd. We've had a scribe party and, well, have you ever heard comments about doctors at parties? You know, about how they talk about work...for fun? Scribes do the same thing. We talk about patients, doctors, and all of the interaction involved. It's pretty cool. And tonight I've seen staples placed in a scalp laceration, eaten a 2 brownies and ice cream, have been enjoying the consequent palpitations, and have also been enjoying rather hysterical conversation with my doctor and Brian. All in all, it's been a pretty rad first night shift.

3 Comments:

  • My favorite part about this post (other than the fact that I've actually written it...finally) is that I said I started writing it at 3:56am, but the notation is stamped at 3:54am. And I finished the post at 5:15am. Was a little distracted. Understandably.

    By Blogger liz, at 11 June, 2006 04:37  

  • oh, and "when I woke up today," it wasn't actually today. It was yesterday.

    By Blogger liz, at 11 June, 2006 05:37  

  • Congratulations! Bon Apetit.

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 18 June, 2006 21:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home