Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Emily's 21st Birthday (a.k.a. The 80s Party!)

Emily's party was so much fun!(Keep in mind that I had a 2500-3000 word essay due the following wednesday, it will come into play in a later entry)
That saturday, the "All-Girls Flat" managed to achieve a near-impossibility; we spent the majority of the day TOGETHER. I know! We were all so stunned that we were at a loss for words! ...yeah, right. :o)
First stop was at the Farmer's Market, which was under the train station roof, instead of its usual no-protection-from-the-rain positioning. This meant that manoeuvring from one end of the market to the other could take up to 20 minutes as the walkway between booths was reduced to a quarter of its normal width. I'm pretty sure all of Dunedin turned up for this market as well, to compound the situation. But, of course, it was fun nonetheless! Courtney and I shared a rather scrumptious bran-sultana-apricot muffin.
From there we were off to SaveMart and I had found a new favourite place on earth.
SaveMart is the haven for all op-shop connoisseurs. A massive converted warehouse of TWO levels, SaveMart has its wares divided and displayed by colour. I didn’t have time to look at everything, though, but I am anxiously counting the days until I can return…perhaps tomorrow! But, as you can tell from the pictures, I found an “ensemble.” At the time of purchase the skirt reached my knees; Courtney assisted in the transformation. A quick trip to The Warehouse, the closest thing to WalMart (minus the food) provided us with beads, streamers, cups and an 80s music CD. The only thing accomplished the rest of that afternoon was to add the finishing touches to our costumes. As my mother can attest to, I couldn’t wait to be destructive to my clothing. Out came the collar of the fluorescent pink tee, the majority of the skirt was stripped away, a pair of children’s tights were transformed into socks and a pair of nylons were shredded! My hair was a challenge. Though I tried for 45 min, I couldn’t tease my fine hair nearly enough to achieve the “big hair” look. What you see in the pictures is the final result. But the makeup! That was so much fun! I actually copied a picture I found online. And Courtney owns and regularly wears the orange eye-shadow.
The party was in full-swing by 11pm (nothing starts early here), most people were drunk long before. However, I find that I enjoy parties much more fully when I don't drink, so I didn't. We played Set and visited the neighbour’s party - also a happenin' event. Nearly their entire flat was full of Germans.
Emily's cake was an attempt at a Rubik's cube, very funny! Everyone apparently didn't eat before they came and the cake was consumed within a half an hour. But I took my leave of the party around midnight to sleep in Claire's room, on the third floor, with my earplugs. The flat was atrocious the next morning, but everyone had had so much fun that they didn't mind. But I suspect everyone was too tired to care :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home