Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, June 16, 2005

More thinking

Hmm, one more thing that's contributed to my thinking.

Many of you know this, but Mum and Dad have been licensed for foster care for the past year or so, in the hope of adopting a sibling group from the foster care system. I'd been a difficult and heartbreaking journey.
Recently our homestudy (the packet of info on my fam) was viewed for a sibling group of three children and we were chosen as the "best fit." Or something...however they term it.
It's been super-exciting for our family, but a challenging decision to make. Do these three belong in our family? How do we know? What questions do you ask to determine that answer? Do my parents just go with the majority of satisfactory answers, knowing there will be some really rough times, but also knowing they can offer a loving home to these children?
So many questions.
And so I find myself on the other side of the world, not knowing if it's alright to form an emotional attachment with my "siblings" (should I call them that yet?). Even from this aspect, I understand why so many foster children become emotionally alienated...why form a bond that's not going to last? Or worse yet, one that won't be reciprocated.One scenario is that my parents DO adopt these beautiful children and I become the eldest of six. They could be "home" before me and my first words to my siblings would be over the phone.
I'm trying to be objective in this situation, but it's terribly difficult.

I thought I'd share this just so you all back home know that I'm not just focused on Middle-Earth type thoughts :o)

But, as per request, I am continuing the hunt for an Aragorn toothbrush for Sarah. If you find one, will you let me know please? Just ring me up when the time comes for the kill...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home