Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Ode to a friend

Today, in an act of senselessness, a very dear relationship of three years ended in my life.
It shouldn't have happened; I am to blame. I only wish there was some way to erase what happened, to make restitution, to heal wounds. But I cannot be. I know that no amount of pleading will be able to change the facts of the situation.
My nalgene bottle is cracked.

The Ode to The Nalgene Bottle:

Twere a dear friend! You were with me through so much
We formed our bond in Colorado, Aug. 2003
I took you to Summit, to the Shakespeare Festival, to Boise State
You were never unwilling to hold 1000ml of pudding, or water
(taken from a tap or a stream near the Bench lakes - with the addition of a few drops of
chlorine bleach or a prayer of protection from giardia)
Your incurable wound marred the emblem you wore from Glacier National Park,
"I shall never adventure again!" seems the cry
From hanging out at the Black Cliffs to providing relief from the heat
in my non-AC vehicle, we laid a foundation of lifelong proportions
Come what may, your gift was your song, and it was for me

All in one moment
it was gone

I believed you were invincible..."unbreakable"
...My foolishness has continued, just like when I broke your lid the first time
But this time, I cannot rush to REI
to make amends
for New Zealand knows not the wonder of that haven
Instead, I rushed the report to your maker at www.nalgene-outdoor.com
And this time, I had friends who witnessed and comforted
Despite their laughter, I knew they truly understood my loss
So, goodbye, dear friend
you were a sweet one

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home