Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Saturday, October 29, 2005

I've just texted you

Walked to Caversham this morning, it is quite a pleasant walk, I must admit! And I'm afraid I was a bit prideful of the fact that I'd managed to make it all the way there and without getting lost. Only had to stop once to pee as well, that's got to be some sort of record for me.

I got to see my friends Adelso and Lilian, and their daughters, Sophia and Valentina. Lili and I bonded right away when we met in February (she was my tutorial lecturer for spanish), both of us hungry for friendship. Three weeks before I arrived in New Zealand, they had moved from Canada to Dunedin - knowing minimal english. Adelso is from Venezuela; Lili was born in Guatemala. The whole family is fluent in Spanish and French, Sophia and Valentina now nearly fluent in English as well. I saw them for what I assume to be the last time. Tears. Lili hugged me so tightly.

Oh, but it was truly a fantastic day! Visiting, baking, eating fried rice, going to a cricket game, and meeting Michael's hilarious sister, Celia, over dinner. We had a grand time, the three of us, and I learned a LOT about the inner workings of Burger King. Did you know that to work at the Whopper bench, you have to be able to whip up one of the burgers in no more than 25 seconds? Or maybe it was less. I happen to know someone who could make them in 18 seconds. 4 at a time. Impressive.

Thoughts today of trusting the Lord. Hear and obey.

"Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel!
Be glad and rejoice with all of your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem!
The Lord has taken away your punishment, He has turned back your enemy.
The Lord, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.
On that day they will say to Jerusalem,
"Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp.
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
"The sorrows for the appointed feasts I will remove from you;
they are a burden and a reproach to you.
At that time I will deal with all who oppressed you;
I will rescue the lame and gather those who have been scattered.
I will give them praise and honor in every land where they were put to shame.
At that time I will gather you; at that time I will bring you home.
I will give you honor and praise among all the peoples of the earth
when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes," says the LORD.

zephaniah 3:14-20, NIV

7 Comments:

  • So, honestly now, do you actually understand how cricket is played? And if you do, could you please explain it to me?

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 29 October, 2005 09:42  

  • Ooh, I'm strongly inclined to leave this question to be answered by Mr. Latif.

    My cricket knowledge is minimal, at best. However, I do know that it's a highly technical game and to try and write everything out in a comment would be challenging. You'd best Yahoo the game rules and stuff.

    By Blogger liz, at 29 October, 2005 12:57  

  • what liz does know is that every time she goes to justin's game something bad happens. ( just joking) there are always bad things happening to me in cricket games, its just nice to have someone else to blame it on, however thin the reasoning.

    A good way to sum up cricket is a sport in which no one can ever be totally satisfied with ones performance, even on a succesful day their is always a certain degree of failure. It's a great lesson in humility.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 29 October, 2005 17:05  

  • ha! Boy, thanks Justin! You are such a brother to me! :oP

    "I'll take the blame..." 5 O'Clock People

    By Blogger liz, at 30 October, 2005 02:42  

  • Oh Hannah, my Hannah. Your mind is like a steel trap.
    They are, indeed, a type of incryption. The titles encompass the post well for myself, I just leave out many, many details.
    But it is true they mean something else and Michael knows what they are referring to.

    By Blogger liz, at 30 October, 2005 13:50  

  • Ouch! All this vague back and forth is making my head hurt! Liz, you still have my email, don't you?

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 30 October, 2005 16:15  

  • I know exactly what they refer to, and if yall want to drop me a sneaky email I'll tell you too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 31 October, 2005 01:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home