Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

And I once wished to be Laura Ingalls.

I sit here, comfy in my sweatshirt, fleece pants and poofy socks. My tummy is delighted with the toast and egg I ate for breakfast and I am in the midst of a most enjoyable book, The Hiding Place, listening to Nickel Creek, while the rains continue their downpour. My muscles ache and groan inconsolably as yesterday mum, brother and I pulled as many hay bales off the field as we could before the storm arrived. Truly, it was a magnificent one - dark and thick clouds overhead, roaring thunder, intermittent lightning and an amazing torrent of rain that left my brother and father soaked after only a few minutes spent unhitching the trailer and safely stowing the truck for protection from the assumed impending hail. The hail never arrived but today the skies remain gray and the rain continues.


And I have been delegated to the feeding and the milking of the animals. Outside.

5 Comments:

  • I like to try to milk the chickens. It's a good thing we don't have any cats. And the dog? Well, thank heavens he's a male.
    Nope, we've got one lactating goat who, for the record, is possibly developing mastitis as I've not moved my butt from this chair since I posted this morning. Well, I might've gotten up to use the toilet once.
    No siree, I'm waiting until I hear the garage door open ("mom's home!") at which point I'll jump up, guilt-ridden, and fly to the goat pen, in a frantic attempt to extract milk. Oh, and I'll feed the goats and chickens.

    By Blogger liz, at 14 June, 2006 10:54  

  • You know, i have yet to find these cat farms, i mean they have to get that cats milk they sell in supermarkets from somewhere, surely? The location of these farms has been a mystery that has perplexed me for the last couple of years since finding out such a product exists. Hmm, I really should be studying for my exams tomorrow.

    By Blogger Mark, at 15 June, 2006 15:31  

  • yeah, Mark...! Study, study, study! ...just like I did when I'd hang out in the central library with friends :o)

    But oh how I miss running into all of you there. Why are you so far away?! I don't mean to be depressing. I'd be more upset if you DIDN'T comment on my blog.

    But still, tell me when you're planning your OE. Because you're definitely coming to Boise.

    ...we have cat dairies here.

    Good luck on your exams. When do you graduate?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 15 June, 2006 16:52  

  • LIZ, darling! Just wanted to say a quick hello and send some love your way. I loved this blog entry - any time you combine a good book, NC, the word "Mum", and some rain - I am throughly taken with delight!

    Here's a hug. I hear rumors of your thought to come out my way...do let me know when your schedule will allow it and i'll check the swamp that is my schedule book. (A joyous, blessed, busy schedule swamp).

    Love you, Liz!

    By Blogger HIS anna, at 15 June, 2006 22:04  

  • When I got sick, my Dad bemusedly asked my mother, "But who will milk the turtle?"

    She's still giggling.

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 18 June, 2006 21:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home