Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Monday, August 8, 2005

Bone Carving

For the past three weeks, monday evenings have been busy with a bone carving class. The first night we were handed beef leg bone portions (straight from the butcher) and cleaned them. Chris, the instructor, wanted us to learn from the beginning, how to create a carving. Tonight was the 4th session (5 total, 2.5hrs apiece, except for the last which endures for an extra hour) and my carving is nearly finished. I was at the sanding stage when the clock hit 7:30pm. I'd love to teach people when I get home - it's a Maori tradition and I think there would be a lot of interest. Especially among those homeschoolers...

Dad, Chris reminds me of you! He loves the ocean (teaches the surfing courses), loves his kids (he was making a carving for his daughter, River) and loves to make things. I recognised his watch as dive-capable and, upon questioning, he said he had done a lot of diving when he lived on the north island, but hadn't done any down here. I told him he reminded me of you. He even has blue eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home