Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Tuesday, November 8, 2005

I'm not tough after all


Ugh, today.
I can only assume this to be punishment for my Absinthe evening: my piercing was infected to the point of inability to concentrate. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I looked up symptoms of
septicemia.

What are signs and symptoms of septicemia?

Patients with septicemia often develop a hemorrhagic rash -- a cluster of tiny blood spots that look like pin pricks in the skin. If untreated, these gradually get bigger and begin to look like fresh bruises. These bruises then join together to form larger areas of purple skin damage and discoloration.

  • lose interest in food and surroundings
  • become feverish
  • feel cold, with cool hands and feet
  • experience a coma and sometimes death


As to be expected, I suddenly realised that I had the chills (though my hands and feet were of normal temperature). But I had been wondering why I woke up this morning despising even the thought of food, which is very rare. I decided to remove the earring, hoping for some relief, but my head only continued throbbing. Since I couldn't concentrate to study (exam tomorrow!), and deciding the swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my head were a good indication of infection, AND having been worried about the rapid overtake of septicemia, I went to the student health centre. The last thing I want is to croak in New Zealand.

While walking to the health centre, I wondered what my family would do if I didn't make it home to Idaho. Morbid, I know. Decided to change the topic, but all I could focus on was whether or not the infection had gone septic, and, "Oh! Watch out for that car! You're uninterested in your surroundings, is that right?" Dying on the way to the GP would be hilarious, sarcastically speaking. That would teach the world how sick I really was. Right. Septicemia has a quick onset like meningitis, I always wanted to say I had a near-death experience. Or died and was revived. So cool.

The receptionist gave me a "you're-just-another-idiot" look when I told her my piercing had gotten infected. Sneer. The nurse didn't want to hear about it, she just glanced at my ear and wrote me up to see a GP who cleaned things up (wearing a glove that was NOT sterile. I watched her put it on after picking up another that had fallen on the floor and stuck the one that had been on the floor back in the box) then wrote me up a prescription for antibiotics.

This whole ordeal, and others, has played a part in teaching me the wisdom of making decisions based on the long-term. Yes, things might be easier for the next day or week or semester if you choose one path, but what might be the consequences of that decision in a month/year/the rest of your life? I wasn't diligent in cleaning my piercing and here I am, the day before a big exam, trying to get my brain to focus, and my stomach to stop hurting from the antibiotics.

"...Expose by faith every situation as it arises, to the All-Sufficiency of the One Who indwells you by His life. Can any situation arise, in any circumstances for which He is not adequate? ...If He be truly God, there cannot be a single one! In everything give thanks!" -Maj.W.IanThomas

Anyone up for leaving Monday morning for a road trip to Abel Tasman, four-day tramp, and journey to Wellington? Seriously! I'm looking for a ride :o)

4 Comments:

  • I got a mucky ear when I had mine done too. I've never known a wound to produce so much goo - my ear was goo galore, though one should probably expect such from an industrial piercing.

    As to your quote from WI Thomas: quite.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 November, 2005 23:36  

  • Ooh, sorry to hear that! I had heard that cartilage piercings were more likely to become infected. Starry-eyes' ear got a bit infected, but she's all better now. (No, she didn't get a cartilage piercing. Just the regular one.)

    Heidi

    By Blogger Anemone Flynn, at 09 November, 2005 10:09  

  • those are also the symptoms of being in-love, and Maori bird flu virus, so it really could have been anything, other than your ear.

    I remember well my coma induced by my piercing, i saw it as an experience worth going through(james ch.1). I actaully got to see the pearly gates and spoke with St Peter, but we both aggreed that i should return to earth for the welfare of my poor mother. However now she has you, i might pierce the other ear.

    The reality is, that particular piercing is only for a certain type of person.

    (NOTE TO READERS: PLEASE TAKE NONE OF THE ABOVE SERIOUSLY)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 November, 2005 16:11  

  • Oooh, Justin!! In my original post I had a whole section mentioning my run-in with you after I picked up my meds. When it came to the actual point of removal of the piercing, I knew you would say something, and I hesitated. I didn't want any flack from you!

    But I knew it would come.

    You're right, Mr. Latif, it takes a certain person to survive a cartilage piercing. A person just like you. However, considering the fact that we're very similar in personality it's odd that I wasn't hard enough to survive my piercing. But I guess I show my prowess in other manners, such as stealing your family...

    *please note that I'm picking on you and that I'm not mad :o)

    By Blogger liz, at 10 November, 2005 17:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home