Liz's New Zealand Adventurings

Monday, November 28, 2005

Murray

“Humility, the place of entire dependence on God, is, from the very nature of things, the first duty and highest virtue of man. It is the root of every virtue.”

~ Andrew Murray


Humility, I have come to find, is not only the highest of virtues, but is as well one of the most challenging to cultivate. It is comparatively easy to tailor one’s conduct to suit a standard, shown by the Pharisees and Sadducees of Jesus’ day, than to transform one’s own heart. In becoming humble we must first see ourselves as we truly are. Without the saving grace of our Father, how utterly wretched our nature is. But we are conformed into His image through Christ’s work on the cross. Therefore, though we are “white as snow,” (Isaiah 1:18) it is not of any working of our own. “I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; I have no good beside or beyond You.’” (Psalms 16:2) The first step of humility is to not only see ourselves completely deficient in hope without the mercy of Christ, but also to accept that everything good within us comes from God alone. This also includes gifts and talents possessed. To glory in our giftings is pride, yet to ignore their existence is false humility. We must come to the median where we both acknowledge our talents and give glory and thanks to God for them.

But it is not enough to merely philosophize and converse upon the subject of humility, rather, it is necessary to convert our beliefs into actions. While examining myself in the light of the humility set forth by Christ, I see myself, as all honest men must, lacking exceedingly. My personal pride, I have found, does not take the form of flaunting and outward proclamations of superiority, but it is of a more subtle nature. Fortifications, years in the building, have obstructed the path to my heart. Pride, and fear of recurring pain, has prevented certain of these walls from destruction. But God has not called me to live a life encased in my prideful protection. An essential element of humility is placing God and others ahead of one’s own self. I must therefore stand spiritually naked before my Creator, and those witnesses around me, that God might mold me from a piteous creature into a mighty work of His grace. Stripped of my pride and humbled before His glory, I will no longer lean upon my own strength but depend solely upon His in the work set before me. This is the purpose of man, to live a life of humility and entire dependence upon Christ as we serve Him and those around us.

(snagged from Martinah's blog. Thank you!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home